CV, VP IT
LEVII J. SMITH
TECHNOLOGY & BUSINESS LEADER
Information Technology & Business Strategy | Software & Systems Engineering and Integration | Strategic & Cross-functional Leadership | Enterprise Architecture | Program and Lifecycle Management | Process Measurement & Improvement | Information Security and Assurance | Operations & Contract Management | Governance & Compliance
SUMMARY OF QUALIFICATIONS
Blending the CIO and CTO roles to actively adopt internal practice to develop new offerings, engage business development, and foster collaborative enterprises. A polymathic leader with 15+ years of experience managing teams and projects across the spectrum of information systems and business services. A track record of innovation in progressive technical and management positions supporting: business development, strategic planning, operations management, governance, and the development/sustainment of highly available solutions. A history of direct responsibility for organizations up to 260 people and annual IT budgets exceeding $4M. Integrates technology and business strategy; driving processes improvements and organizational growth for a $23M, 120 person division. Provides high-level-of-depth and broad-based expertise valued by business leaders, technology staff, and management in competitive environments; fostering relationships, and transforming processes to deliver measurable results across multinational boundaries. 10+ consecutive years with performance rated among the top 5% of 41,000 personnel; advising key decision-makers across lines of business and organizations.
Sep 2000 – Present: Chief Engineer, Science Applications International Corporation
SAIC is a 14,000 employee, $4B technology integrator providing full life-cycle services and solutions in technical, engineering, and enterprise information technology for complex government and commercial projects. SAIC was spun off from the 41,000 employee $12 billion Leidos, which remains a $7B national security, health, and engineering solutions firm in September 2013.
Nov 2010 – Present: Division Chief Engineer & Technologist – O’Fallon, IL
Reporting to the Program Director; directs, coordinates and provides strategic direction, technical leadership, training, mentorship, and guidance across all division programs & throughout the enterprise across organizational and functional boundaries. Supervises, leads, trains, and mentors local and remote: business analysts, engineering teams, and program managers. Manages and advises engineers, program management (PM) and senior leaders across the organization; providing direct support, plans, and guidance on efficient methods of execution and required process change to support business strategies, and improve processes in a highly governed environment. Supports and advises in technical, operations, and strategic capacities for Systems & Software Engineering and Integration (SE&I), Information Assurance (IA), and solution development to support: program execution; quantitative management; governance and compliance; Business Development (BD), Bid & Proposal (B&P); Internal Research & Development (IR&D) planning and evaluation; disaster recovery (DR); audit & review; enterprise architecture (EA); risk management (RM); and Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP). Engages in strategic business and technology planning, aligning vision to execution through active thought leadership and involvement in: business process re-engineering & management (BPM), opportunity identification & capture, and program execution.
- Leads B&P providing technical leadership and engineering oversight on all division opportunities delivering ~$55M+ in contract awards since 2011; remaining cognizant of business risk and mitigating them through active involvement between engineering and management teams.
- Coordinates and directs strategic growth and program execution across multiple domains including: BPM, SE&I, systems administration (SA), EA, and IA; evaluating maintenance of contract compliance covering ~$20M in annual revenue.
- Designed and implemented development labs, leading the migration to enterprise capability for Application Lifecycle Management (ALM), reducing the hardware footprint by 60% and administrative overhead by 66% through effective use of virtualization and cloud technologies.
- Partners with developers supporting the development, test, deployment, and maintenance program across Agile, Incremental, and Iterative lifecycle models for VB/C# .NET, Java, and C++ applications. Mentored, trained and implemented processes & standards leading to the successful CMMI-DEV 1.3 level 3 assessment for the organization, and perfect customer ratings in all contract areas across multiple engagements.
- Designed and implemented NIST 800-53, ISO2700, DoD 5000.2-R and FISMA compliant collaborative assurance models utilized across projects as the model for assurance in contract execution. Coordinated a first-of-its-kind collaborative approach between customer PMO, IA, and IV&V teams, reducing C&A cycle time by 88% while increasing code coverage from <10% to >90%.
- Mentors and trains PM staff on effective technology systems to support process analysis and re-engineering across focus areas. Prototyped information and knowledge management (KM) systems utilizing collaborative enterprise capabilities; increasing efficiency and accuracy of B&P, project execution, and Intellectual Property reuse. IR&D review estimates ~35% reduction in cost for activities, and substantially increased intelligence availability.
2008 – Feb 2011: Senior Software & Systems Engineer – Scott AFB, O’Fallon IL
- Led the execution & design of the next-generation service-oriented architecture (SOA) for the Air Force Weather Agency leveraging existing commercial and government open-source (G/OSS) components. System development, engineering and programming efforts in rapid fielding cycles met global mission needs saving an estimated $16M on annual hardware and software costs, delivering operational capability from concept to IOC in 8 months; 8 months ahead of schedule.
- Teamed with NATO partners, AMCC and AFCC in the successful development and management of international systems and policies supporting air and ground space availability for numerous operations within Afghanistan and Iraq. Negotiated and re-engineered airfield management processes, policies and tactics and systems within SHAPE and ISAF allowing use of automated systems which reduced error rates by 97% and increased throughput 28%.
- Developed GIS (Geospatial Intelligence System) architecture and technologies for metric analysis, fuel analysis, and safety of flight operations for the 618th TACC and USTRANSCOM which delivered a cited cost savings of >$200M over 5 years.
- Managed AOC storage systems, virtual machine clusters, and hosted platforms; supporting development and production systems in a 24×7 operational environment which provided support to global operations and planning systems with 99.999% uptime.
2006 –2008: Technical Lead; Principal Systems & Software Engineer – Sembach, Germany
Led a systems flight with 15 technicians and engineers supporting the 21st Operational Weather Squadron (OWS), 32 combat/staff weather units, and organizations across the US European Command (USEUCOM). Managed IT strategy for squadron operations, data dissemination, storage mechanisms, access control systems, data recovery, and disaster preparedness. Administered model, radar, satellite, and alphanumeric data flow between 40 locations using data provisioned from US, UK and indigenous sources across security domains, networks, and satellite systems. Coordinated communication and data requirements with US, NATO, PFP allies, national agencies and commercial suppliers as advisor to 21 OWS senior leadership and to US ACOMEX representative(s).
- Managed $7.2M in United States Air Force (USAF) communication systems vital to the 21 OWS briefing and resource protection of $33B in assets. The team resolved >2900 tickets annually; maintaining 99.999% uptime with 20M+ page hits and 800Gb+ monthly data transfer.
- Led the migration of the OWS sites from ASP to a common ColdFusion (CF) MX Fusebox architecture with zero downtime. Designed, implemented, managed, and supported the overall system composed of: Oracle, EMC, Windows, Apache, and related physical/virtual hardware/software systems. Afforded real-time access to >8M real-time weather records, with online retrieval and analysis extended to >600M archived products.
- Designed and implemented automated, electronic training and testing system; saving >1200 man-hours annually while providing accurate real-time compliance reporting capabilities.
- Prototyped the next-generation, OGC-compliant, GIS integration of weather visualization systems using the OpenLayers JS and OpenScales Flash/Flex libraries. Implemented the system as a functional proof-of-concept proving viable application to AFWA’s flagship AFWWEBS SaaS platform.
2003 – 2006: Senior Engineer; Systems Administrator/Webmaster, Scott AFB, O’Fallon, IL
2001 – 2003: Program Site Lead; Training Development Specialist/Network Engineer – Randolph AFB, San Antonio, TX
Designed and implemented Major Command (MAJCOM) and Wing-Level Structured on the Job Training (SOJT) programs for the Air Combat Command (ACC) and USAF Air Education and Training Commands, training personnel as part of the NOSC standup. Led AF SOJT program rankings; maintaining the highest student throughput and satisfaction levels among the 13 global Network Operations & Support Centers (NOSCs). Developed curricula for the: Cisco Networking Academy (CNAP), Workgroup Administrator, System Administrator, and Information Assurance programs. Advised leadership on introduction and adoption of new technologies into current network infrastructure, supporting engineers to troubleshoot and repair complex server, software, and network issues.
2000 – 2001: Training Development Specialist/Cisco Network Administrator - Dyess AFB, Abilene, TX
Developed and deployed Wing-Level SOJT programs for the Air Force Communications Agency (AFCA), training Network Control Center (NCC) personnel in all aspects of networking technology, information security, system hardware, and software used on USAF networks. Maintained 90% pass rate and 99% positive feedback among 80+ students graduated from the CNAP; leading the AF SOJT program rankings while maintaining the highest student throughput, and reported satisfaction rate across 32 wings worldwide. Actively advised leadership on network security and penetration testing, developed network boundary protection policies, and oversaw efforts related to implementation and remediation; realizing a ~30% reduction in annual infrastructure operating costs.
1999 – 2000: Systems Administrator, Net Tech Inc. – Fairbanks, AK
PhD, Information Technology – Conferral Anticipated March 2015
|Western Governors University
MS, Information Security and Assurance – 2011
BS, Information Technology – 2010
EMPLOYMENT-RELATED COMMITTEE & PROFESSIONAL AFFILIATIONS
|NATO Allied Command Operations Meteorological and Oceanographic Exchange||2006 – 2008|
|NATO Meteorological Information System Working Group||2006 – 2008|
|Armed Forces Communications and Electronics Association||2011 – Current|
|National Defense Transportation Association||2011 – Current|
|International Council on Systems Engineering||2010 – Current|
|ISC2||2010 – Current|
|Active Top Secret through 2016|
|NATO SECRET (NS) and Briefing Complete|
|Contractor of the Quarter, 15OWS, Q4 2003||Outstanding System Technician of the Quarter, 21OWS, Q1 2007|
|Contractor of the Year, 15OWS, 2003||Contractor of the Year, 21OWS, 2007|
|Contractor of the Year, 15OWS, 2004||NDTA Innovative Logistics Service Award, 2009|
|Outstanding System Technician of the Quarter, 21OWS, Q3 2006||Air Force Outstanding Unit Award, 2009|
|(GIAC) ISO 27000 Specialist, 2011||Cisco Certified Academic Instructor (CCAI), 2001|
|EC-Council Certified Ethical Hacker v6.1 (CEH), 2011||Network+ (Net+), 2000|
|Computer Hacking Forensic Investigator v4, (CHFI), 2011||Cisco Certified Design Associate(CCDA), 2000[Lapsed 2008]|
|Enterprise Disaster Recovery Professional v2 (EDRP), 2011||Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA), 2000 [Lapsed 2008]|
|Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP), 2008||Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer (MCSE), 1999|
|Security+ (Sec+), 2008||A+ Certified Service Technician (A+), 1999|
|Cisco Certified Design Professional (CCDP), 2002 [Lapsed 2005]||Microsoft Certified Professional (MCP), 1999|
|Cisco Certified Network Professional (CCNP), 2002 [Lapsed 2005]||Microsoft Certified Professional + Internet (MCP+I), 1999|