CV, Software & Systems Engineer
LEVII J. SMITH
Software and Systems Engineering / Integration | Enterprise Architecture | IT Strategy | Business Strategy | Program & Lifecycle Management | Process Improvement | Information Security & Assurance | IT Operations | Governance and Compliance
SUMMARY OF QUALIFICATIONS
Polymathic Leader with 15+ years’ experience managing teams and projects across the spectrum of information systems and business services. A track record of innovation in progressive technical and management positions supporting: business development, strategic planning, operations management, and the development/sustainment of complex, secure, and highly available system/software solutions. 10+ consecutive years with performance rated among the top 5% of 41,000 personnel; advising key decision-makers across lines of business and organizations.
Provides broad, high-level-of-depth expertise and insight to business leaders, technology staff, and management; developing plans, governance and solutions to solve complex problems, integrating technology and business strategy driving improvements to business processes and organizational growth for a 120 person division with $23M in annual revenue. A history of direct responsibility for organizations up to 260 people and annual IT budgets exceeding $4M providing expertise in strategic planning, analysis of competitive environments, fostering relationships, transforming processes, and delivering measurable results across multinational boundaries.
Science Applications International Corporation Sep 2000 – Present
Chief Engineer | Solutions Architect, Cloud Computing, Data Center, & Business Transformation
SAIC is a 14,000 employee, $4B technology integrator providing full life-cycle services and solutions in technical, engineering, and enterprise information technology for complex government and commercial projects. SAIC was spun off from the 41,000 employee $12 billion Leidos, which remains a $7B national security, health, and engineering solutions firm in September 2013.
Chief Engineer & Technologist – O’Fallon, IL Nov 2010 – Present
Reporting to the Program Director; directs, coordinates and provides strategic direction, technical leadership, training, mentorship, and guidance across all division programs & throughout the enterprise across organizational and functional boundaries. Supervises, leads, trains, and mentors local and remote: business analysts, engineering teams, and program managers. Provides direct support and advisory services in technical, operations, and strategic capacities; planning and implementing: Systems & Software Engineering and Integration (SE&I), Information Assurance (IA), and other solutions to support: program execution; quantitative management; governance and compliance; Business Development (BD), Bid & Proposal (B&P); Internal Research & Development (IR&D) planning and evaluation, Enterprise Disaster Recovery Planning (EDRP), audit and review, enterprise architecture (EA); risk management (RM); and Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) for customer and/or enterprise requirements. Engaged in strategic business and technology planning; aligning vision to execution through active thought leadership and involvement in: re-engineering efforts, opportunity identification and capture, and program execution; while remaining cognizant of business risk within projects and programs and mitigating them through active involvement between engineering and management teams.
- Leads B&P providing technical leadership and engineering oversight on all division opportunities delivering ~$60M+ in contract awards from 2012 to present.
- Directs and coordinates efforts across multiple programs involving business process re-engineering, software engineering, systems administration, architectures, information assurance, enterprise system integration, governance plans, and strategic areas for growth; maintaining 100% contract compliance covering ~$30M in annual revenue.
- Manages and advises engineers, program management and senior leadership across the organization; providing direct support, plans, and guidance on efficient methods of execution and required process change to support business strategies, and improve processes in a highly governed environment. Designed and implemented the CAMPS development lab, and spearheaded the migration to an enterprise capacity for Application Lifecycle Management, reducing the overall hardware footprint by 60% and administrative overhead by 66% through effective use of virtualization and cloud technologies.
- Partners with developers, implementing standards, mentoring, training, and supporting the development, test, deployment, and maintenance program across Agile, Incremental, and Iterative lifecycle models for VB/C# .NET, Java, and C++ applications.
- Designed and implemented NIST 800-53, ISO2700, DoD 5000.2-R and FISMA compliant collaborative assurance models 90% under a $200k budget which is utilized across the division as the model for assurance in contract execution. This was the basis used to coordinate a first-of-its-kind collaborative approach between the CAMPS PMO, the 375th Communications Squadron, and their IV&V contractors which reduced C&A cycle time by 88% and increased code coverage from <10% to >90%; becoming the defacto standard for static code analysis and audit.
- Mentors and trains program management staff on effective technology systems to support process analysis and re-engineering across focus areas. Prototyped information and knowledge management systems utilizing collaborative enterprise capabilities; increasing efficiency and accuracy of B&P, project execution, and Intellectual Property reuse. IR&D review estimates ~35% reduction in cost for activities, and substantially increased intelligence availability.
Senior Software & Systems Engineer – Scott AFB, IL 2008 – Feb 2011
- Led the execution & design of the next-generation service-based (SOA) architecture for the Air Force Weather Agency leveraging existing OSS and GOSS components. This managed system development, engineering and programming efforts during a rapid upgrade cycles met global mission needs saving an estimated $16M on annual hardware and software costs, delivering operational capability from concept to IOC in 8 months; 8 months ahead of schedule
- Teamed with NATO partners, AMCC and AFCC in the successful development and management of international information systems and policies directly supporting the availability of air and ground space in support of numerous operations within Afghanistan and Iraq. Negotiated and re-engineered airfield management processes within NATO/SHAPE for field operations within ISAF allowing the use of automated systems reducing error rates by 97% and increasing throughput 28%
- Developed GIS (Geospatial Intelligence System) architecture and technologies for metric analysis and safety of flight operations for the 618th TACC and TRANSCOM delivering cost savings of >$200M over 5 years.
- Collaborated with NATO partners, AMCC and AFCC in the development and management of international information systems and policies directly supporting the availability of air and ground space in support of numerous operations within Afghanistan and Iraq. Developed policies, procedures and tactics along with the supporting infrastructure and software to ensure operations within theater.
- Managed AOC storage systems, virtual machine clusters, and hosted platforms; supporting development and production systems in a 24×7 operational environment which provided support to global operations and planning systems with 99.999% uptime.
Technical Lead – Principal Systems & Software Engineer - Sembach, Germany 2006 –2008
Led a systems flight of 15 technicians and engineers supporting the 21st Operational Weather Squadron (OWS) and 32 combat/staff weather units across the USEUCOM theater. Managed the engineering of an IT strategy for squadron operations, data dissemination, storage mechanisms, access control systems, data recovery, and disaster preparedness. Administered model, radar, satellite, and alphanumeric data flow between 40 locations using data provisioned from US, UK and indigenous sources across security domains, networks, and satellite systems. As advisor to 21 OWS senior leadership and to US ACOMEX representative(s); coordinated communication and data requirements with US, NATO, PFP allies, national agencies and commercial suppliers.
- Managed $7.2M in United States Air Force (USAF) communication systems vital to the 21 OWS briefing and resource protection of $33B in assets. The team resolved >2900 tickets annually; maintaining 99.999% uptime with 20M+ page hits and 800Gb+ monthly data transfer.
- Led the migration of the OWS sites from ASP to a common ColdFusion MX architecture with zero downtime. Designed, implemented, managed, and supported the overall system composed of: Oracle, EMC, Windows, Apache, and related physical/virtual hardware/software systems. Afforded real-time access to >8M real-time weather records, with online retrieval and analysis extended to >600M archived products.
- Designed and implemented automated, electronic training and testing system; saving >1200 man-hours annually and provided accurate reporting of compliance.
- Developed the prototype next-generation, OGC-compliant, GIS integration of weather visualization systems used as a seed project for AFWA’s flagship AFWWEBS SaaS platform
Senior Engineer – Systems Administrator/Webmaster – O’Fallon, IL 2003 – 2006
- Developed GPO, automated scripts (batch, shell, VBScript) and SMS site structure in conjunction with Air Mobility Command Network Operations and Security Center (AMC NOSC). Facilitated system management and remote maintenance, saving 800+ man hours per year.
Program Site Lead – Training Development Specialist – San Antonio, TX 2001 – 2003
Led AF SOJT program rankings; maintaining the highest student throughput, pass and feedback satisfaction rate among the 13 worldwide NOSCs. Developed and implemented MAJCOM and Wing-Level Structured on the Job Training (SOJT) programs for the Air Combat Command (ACC) and USAF Air Education and Training Command that were used to train all USAF IT personnel as part of the Network Operations & Support Center support transition. Curriculum developed included material for the: Cisco Networking Academy (CNAP), Workgroup Administrator, System Administrator, and Information Assurance programs used across training efforts. Advised leadership on introduction and adoption of new technologies into current network infrastructure, supporting engineers to troubleshoot and repair complex server, software, and network issues.
- Developed and implemented MAJCOM Structured on the Job Training (SOJT) programs for the Air Education and Training Command Headquarters.
- Trained ~200 Network Operations and Security Center (AETC HQ NOSC) and Network Control Center (NCC) personnel in all aspects of networking technology, security methods, hardware and software used on the standard Air Force networks (Combat Information Transfer System).
- Led Air Force SOJT program by maintaining highest student throughput, pass and feedback satisfaction rate of 13 NOSCs worldwide; averaged ~110 students annually.
- Advised purchasers and leadership on introduction and adoption of new technologies into current network infrastructure.
- Troubleshot and repaired ATM/LANE failure and other complex issues as they arose among networks local to Randolph AFB.
Training Development Specialist – Abilene, TX 2000 – 2001
Developed and deployed Wing-Level SOJT programs for the Air Force Communications Agency (AFCA), training Network Control Center (NCC) personnel in all aspects of networking technology, information security, system hardware, and software used on USAF networks. Maintained 90% pass rate and 99% positive feedback among 80+ students graduated from the CNAP; leading the AF SOJT program rankings while maintaining the highest student throughput, pass and feedback satisfaction rate across 32 wings worldwide. Actively advised leadership on network security and penetration testing, developed network boundary protection policies, and oversaw efforts related to implementation and remediation; realized ~30% reduction in annual infrastructure operating costs.
- Developed and deployed Wing-Level Structured on the Job Training (SOJT) programs for Air Force Communications Agency (AFCA).
- Led Air Force SOJT program by maintaining highest student throughput, pass and feedback satisfaction rate of the 32 wings worldwide. Maintained 90% pass rate and 99% positive feedback among 80+ students graduated from the Cisco Networking Academy.
- Participated in and advised leadership on network security and penetration testing. Developed network boundary protection policies, and oversaw implementation.
- Advised network managers and commanders on design changes to the current network infrastructure involving both ATM and Gigabit Ethernet, saving approximately 30% on operational costs yearly.
PhD, Information Technology – Conferral Anticipated Dec 2014
Western Governors University
MS, Information Security and Assurance – 2011
BS, Information Technology – 2010
EMPLOYMENT-RELATED COMMITTEE & PROFESSIONAL AFFILIATIONS
NATO Allied Command Operations Meteorological and Oceanographic Exchange 2006 – 2008
NATO Meteorological Information System Working Group 2006 – 2008
Armed Forces Communications and Electronics Association (AFCEA) 2011-Current
National Defense Transportation Association (NDTA) 2011-Current
International Council on Systems Engineering (INCOSE) 2010-Current
International Information Systems Security Certification Consortium (ISC2) 2010-Current
Active US Top Secret & NATO Secret : Through 2016
|Contractor of the Quarter, 15OWS, Q4 2003
Contractor of the Year, 15OWS, 2003
Contractor of the Year, 15OWS, 2004
Outstanding SA of the Quarter, 21OWS, Q3 2006
|Outstanding SE of the Quarter, 21OWS, Q1 2007
Contractor of the Year, 21OWS, 2007
NDTA Innovative Logistics Service Award, 2009
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award, 2009
|(GIAC) ISO 27000 Specialist, 2011||Cisco Certified Academic Instructor (CCAI), 2001|
|EC-Council Certified Ethical Hacker v6.1 (CEH), 2011||Network+ (Net+), 2000|
|Computer Hacking Forensic Investigator v4, (CHFI), 2011||Cisco Certified Design Associate(CCDA), 2000[Lapsed 2008]|
|Enterprise Disaster Recovery Professional v2 (EDRP), 2011||Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA), 2000 [Lapsed 2008]|
|Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP), 2008||Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer (MCSE), 1999|
|Security+ (Sec+), 2008||A+ Certified Service Technician (A+), 1999|
|Cisco Certified Design Professional (CCDP), 2002 [Lapsed 2005]||Microsoft Certified Professional (MCP), 1999|
|Cisco Certified Network Professional (CCNP), 2002 [Lapsed 2005]||Microsoft Certified Professional + Internet (MCP+I), 1999|
Software Development Environments and Languages
SPECIAL COMPETENCIES AND SKILLS
Security Clearance: Active Top Secret
DoD Directive 8570.1M: IAT Level I, II & III (Information Assurance Technical), IAM Level I, II & III (Information Assurance Management)
Operating Systems: MS-DOS, PC-DOS, Windows 3.X, Windows 95/98/XP/2000/VISTA/7, Windows Server NT 3.51/4.X/2000/2003/2008, Novell NetWare 3,4, Sun Secure Solaris 7,8,10, Red Hat Linux 7.X, Cisco IOS 11.x/12.x
Networking/Protocols: LAN/MAN/WAN, Routers, Switches, Hubs, Fiber Optics (OC-3, OC-12), Ethernet, ATM, LANE, VLANS, Frame Relay, T1 Modems, xDSL, Active Directory, NFS, SNMP, SMTP, TCP, IP, UDP, ICMP, HTTP, FTP, DNS, WINS, DHCP, HDLC, PPP, PPTP,RIP, OSPF, IGRP, EIGRP, RIS, VPN, Wireless,IPSec
Server Applications: Oracle 9i/10g/11g, MySQL, SQL Server 2000/2003/2005/2008, Veritas, NetBackup, ColdFusion 4/5/MX6/MX7, ArcServer, Ghost, NetIQ Administration Suite, CiscoWorks, OpenView, Visual Weather, NAMIS, HORACE, Exchange 5.5/2000/2003, FaxSys, SMS, SharePoint, Terminal Services, Remote Desktop Services/HyperV, VMWare Player/Workstation, Citrix XENServer
Hardware: Dell, HP, Compaq, SUN, IBM, EMC, NAS, SAN, Cisco, Gateway, ALR, SCSI, RAID Systems, Raritan, PKI Readers, Compaq/Dell Autoloader Tape Backup Systems, PDAs, Scanners, FAX, APC
Web: IIS 4/5/6/7/7.5, Apache
Desktop Applications: Adobe Dreamweaver, Photoshop, Flash, Flex, Fireworks, Publisher, Acrobat; MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, Visio; TOAD, Oracle OEM,PKI Middleware, Ethereal
CMMI: Level 5 training and experience